Right. It's about time I started looking for my next job/gig/source-of-income. I'll be honest, 9 months of sabbatical has not been as restful as I had hoped, but apparently writing two books and taking on the ownership of a restaurant are not restful activities. Who knew?
Anyway this blog post is because it's too hard to explain in 140 characters (OK fine 280, but I'm old school) what I'm looking for. There are three main paths I'm exploring:
Continue reading "What’s Next for Trisha?"
- Developer Advocacy
- Consulting & Training
Tomorrow, 22nd December 2021, is my last day at JetBrains.
I can't believe I've been here a whole seven years! I've never stayed anywhere even half that amount of time, I usually jump jobs every 1-2 years. I spent 4 years at LMAX, but I did have a tiny break in the middle to go and work for ThoughtWorks for 3 months.
Continue reading "End of an Era"
- Do not drink too much coffee beforehand.
- Do not replace coffee with Diet Coke, it is not better...
- Do not drink too much coffee and drink diet coke and forget to eat.
- Check skirt length before prancing around on stage.
- Check desktop background for public-display-appropriateness.
- Close down applications that have popup notifications. Do you really want hundreds of people seeing that tweet...?
- Plug in your laptop power. Re-typing your password every time the screen powers down is boring.
- Remember your Mac-to-VGA dongle thingie. Bring one even if you don't use a Mac - there might be a cute/friendly/senior/cool speaker who needs one, and you can help them.
- Bring your slides/laptop. Not that important, especially if you've put it on dropbox.
Remember a while back I talked about my first public appearance?
Well, I chased down the video, because I'm masochistic, and here it is for you all to enjoy. Pleasingly my mannerisms are slightly less of a camp man trapped in a woman's body, which was my impression the last time I saw myself presenting. It helps that YouTube has made the video so dark you can't see me.
Slides are available for all to enjoy.
Special thanks to Playfish for hosting the event - as always, their hospitality was awesome.
The fact that they didn't serve wine is probably a Good Thing.
I'm finally moving up from working behind the scenes to actually doing a (short) presentation for the LJC. I'm going to be giving a lightning talk on Wednesday at the AWS Elastic Beanstalk event, on the JCP - what it is and what our election to the executive committee means. Ben and Martin's post gives a little more background on the subject.
Another LMAX LJC member Mike will also be giving a lightning talk, on Project Coin.
Now all I have to do is write it...
I'm honoured to now be listed on three aggregated blog feeds:
The pressure's on to try and write useful stuff. Oh OK, I'll settle for "entertaining".